Friday, February 3, 2012

Girls’ Room Grown Up

girlsroom9

Two years ago, I posted about our girls’ room for the first time.  Back then, they were all sharing, and still little:  

image

But now our oldest two are going on 11 and 13.  Too old for pink pom-poms and rag dolls, they say.  So we’ve been doing a little here and a little there to make their new bedroom grown up. 

girlsroom33

It all started with these little Anthropologie frames I’ve had for several years.  I used to have the pair hanging in our old dining nook.  They are sweet, but sophisticated.  Grown up!

girlsroom20

We painted the walls “Sea Salt”, a Valspar color.  I love the combination of gold and bluish-green.  I found the perfect gold fabric to drape the ends of their beds.  I simply hemmed a yard of fabric for each bed.  Easy.

girlsroom25

I contemplated coordinating pillows at the head of the bed, but we chose to keep it simple.  Pillows would have detracted from the detail of the headboard, and taken the focus away from the little framed mirror.  The absence of throw pillows means their beds are quick to make each morning.

girlsroom18

Their matching bed frames came from craigslist for $75 a pop.  I painted them a creamy white, and found some matelassé coverlets from Homegoods to match. 

girlsroom27

Space is at a premium, so we use baskets under the bed for storage.

girlsroom19

We found the bird cage picture hanger from World Market. 

girlsroom30

The girls are infatuated with birds, so it was the perfect addition. 

girlsroom4

We played musical pets during this photo shoot :)  Here’s Paris trying to get her lovebird to pose on the bed post (it was unsuccessful, as he didn’t want to leave her elbow)…

girlsroom31

The curtains we kept simple but romantic with $13 patterned sheers from Target.

girlsroom5

I used $2 strings of beads from the craft store to drape the curtains back. A bit of a bohemian vibe.

girlsroom7

We used an old cubby to hang above the other bed…

girlsroom29

but switched out the original hooks for these World Market knobs to hang their necklaces:

girlsroom21

After telling my mother approximately 1000 times how much I liked this particular dresser, she finally gave it to me.  :) 

girlsroom34

It’s here only temporarily though.  I’ve been picturing it in our downstairs bathroom.  Can’t you see a sink in it with a wall-mount faucet?  Yup, me too.

girlsroom32

The lamp was a thrift store find, and I like the vintage flair it gives to the space:

girlsroom24

I gave the girls my “watch dog”, along with the loan of my watches. 

girlsroom22

Seems my whole wardrobe is on loan these days.  My oldest daughter is starting to outgrow my shoes.  Like I said, a lot can happen in two years!

girlsroom27

I wonder what the next two years will bring.  :)

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...