Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Chalk Paint Birthday

You probably know all about Annie Sloan’s chalk paint by now… it’s been reviewed and pictured through tutorials galore all over the decorating blogosphere.  I’m late to the party again, but I finally got a chance to try it out.

chalkpaint2

Because my three older girls and I share many of the same interests and passions, we are able to enjoy working and creating together.  So when I found out there was a chalk paint class nearby, I thought it would be the perfect birthday outing with my second daughter Haley.  The class was taught by Barbara at the Melville Trading Company… a terrific antique store in the quaint town of Mebane, NC.

MelvilleTradingPainting-with-Artist1

I’ve blogged before about how we try to give “tools” instead of toys for gifts, and I’ve gotten many emails asking for more examples.  In a nutshell, we try to think of gifts or trips that will teach them something new, further develop a skill, or create a lasting memory of time spent together. 

haleyHaley with her painted samples from class

This chalk paint class created both memories and new skills.  It turned out to be the gift that will keep on giving… since it has given Haley the motivation to start a little business for herself…refinishing some pieces and selling them.  Here’s her first piece listed on craigslist: 

chalkpaint7

Chalk paint is so simple to use, it’s actually quite ideal for a child.  There is no priming necessary, and no toxic fumes.  It also dries incredibly fast.  I really do think the finished result looks more professional and finished (in a distressed non-finished kind of way!). 

stool2

The stool was first painted with Annie Sloane’s Old White, the second coat painted with Paris Gray.  After some light distressing, we followed it with a clear wax.

Here is our table leg I originally painted with latex paint:

chalkpaint8

And here is a leg painted with chalk paint in Paris Gray:

chalkpaint5

I used the Annie Sloan clear wax after painting this leg, then used some Valspar antiquing glaze I had on hand to add some age.  I could have bought the Annie Sloan dark wax to give the same affect, but I had already blown my budget and couldn’t afford a second can of wax that day.  I think the antique glaze worked out pretty well. 

chalkpaint3

Above, on the left is chalk paint with clear wax, and on the right is chalk paint with clear wax and antique glaze.  It darkens it a bit and gives more dimension to the finish.  

A closer look of the latex painted leg:

chalkpaint9

And the chalk paint leg:

chalkpaint6

I’m so excited about this new medium, and I envision an abundance of projects in my future… and Haley’s future too.  :)

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...