Thursday, February 17, 2011

Makeshift Bolster

Part of our spontaneous “vacation day” included separating the four girls into two rooms.  Which meant bunking two of the beds to accommodate a smaller space. 

bolster23

Since we could no longer drape their colorful quilts at the foot of their beds due to the pesky ladder, I decided to repurpose them as bolster pillows instead. 

bolster22

I didn’t want to spend any money on bolster inserts, so here’s what I did…

bolster1

I used an old king size pillow and grabbed some string.

bolster2

Then summoned two available children to hold down the ends after I folded it in half.

bolster3

I tied the string around one end pretty tight and made a knot.

bolster4

Then I wound the string over and over around the folded pillow.

bolster5

Until it resembled a giant grub. 

bolster6

I then laid out a twin quilt (mine is cut in half, but you don’t have to do this). 

bolster7

At the bottom edge, I started rolling the quilt tightly around the pillow.

bolster9

Once rolled up, I safety-pinned the seam in the middle to hold it secure.

bolster10

Using string, I tied each end as tight as I could.

bolster11

At which point, the pillow took on the form of a snazzed-up Tootsie Roll.  Much better than a grub.

bolster12

Then came the most expensive part of this project.

bolster13

$6 for a roll of satin ribbon from Michaels. 

bolster14

A pretty bow for each side finishes the look.

bolster15

bolster25

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...